Here is the wife standing atop the bridge in Oriental overlooking a local marina and Oriental anchorage as we wait out a storm before starting our journey home. We had stopped for this photo after a nice morning jog around the town. Stay tuned as we give a detailed entry of our trip home!!
Saturday, May 5, 2012
A little sailing town located at mile marker 182 on the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) off the Neuse River in North Carolina. Our experience there was great. I am writing to tell you so that maybe one day you may venture up or down the ICW for a visit. We were told by one of the locals that the town had a population of 850 people and 3000 sailboats, and judging by all the masts sticking up everywhere throughout the town I believe it. I have listed a few places below that we visited and would recommend them to anyone.
· The Bean - a fantastic small town coffee and ice cream shop.
· Oriental Marine Consignment – Great prices and even better people
· M & M Diner – Excellent food and dollar beer night
· The Silos – Another great place to enjoy good food and a dollar beer night
· Deaton Boatyard – Great service and friendly helpful staff
We had a great time and met many friendly and just plain nice people. The town has a great website at www.towndock.net. Be sure to stop and visit this great sailing town!!