Sunday, April 22, 2012

Physical Fitness, She's got it!!!!


    Many of you who know us and for those of you who do not, my wife is a fitness fanatic. It is not just a hobby but a way of life for her. She is by far the most dedicated person I know when it comes to working out and eating right. I will have to admit I am jealous because I just cannot keep up with her. She has endless amounts of drive to keep pushing herself to her physical limits. She has participated and trained endlessly for  triathlons, duathlons, ½ marathons,  1mile swims, yoga(almost daily)and crossfit and everything in between. By the way, all this after recovering from ACL tear over 10 years ago! She is a machine!
All warmed up and ready to ROCK!

    Well yesterday was no different. This was a new event for her, an event that was short in duration but would challenge her limits of physical fitness! It was called MetroDash. This event was a series of obstacles, one right after the other. This included tire flips, farmers carry, 12ft wall climb, rope traverse, concrete ball carry, monkey bars, sand bag carry…… I believe there was 15 all total. For more details check out www.metrodash.com.
Final Obstacle........scale an 8ft wall! No Problem!

    So how did she did she do? She killed it! As usual she was nervous! I never know why because I have seen her train! She kicked some serious butt out there completing obstacles many fit men could not complete! She did awesome! I am proud of her and even prouder to say she my beautiful wife! You are an outstanding athlete my dear and you should proud of your accomplishments!!
Here she is recovering with some cold water! She kicked ASS!

    What does this have to do with our sailing adventures? As many of you know and for those who don’t, sailing, especially offshore, requires a certain level of fitness and physical health. When you are hundreds or even thousands of miles from shore you can only depend on yourself and/or your crew members to handle whatever comes your way. These types of events and training for them prepare you, your muscles and your mind to be able to handle anything that may come your way. I have jumped onboard with training as well. I am nowhere near my beautiful wife’s fitness level, but I have been eating better and training 4-5 times a week for a few months now. I feel a lot better and the pounds are coming off. The wife and I have teamed up for an upcoming Toughmudder event. We will compete as a team! Check it out at www.toughmudder.com, so stay tuned! I hope I can keep up!

2 comments:

  1. I earned bruises and rope burns on the backs of both legs for my efforts at MetroDash yesterday and I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason is no slouch either! He raced the 2010 season with me, finishing the VA Duathlon, VA is for Lovers 14K and the Wicked 10K. When we purchased Sal in early 2011, he made the sacrifice of giving up a lot of his spare time to re-outfit her while I was able to continue spending all my spare time training. Now that the majority of the work on her is complete, he has time to get himself back up to speed. Of course Tough Mudder will be one of the biggest challenges either of us has ever attempted...

    ReplyDelete